Friday, June 20, 2008

Hot, Sweaty and Tired!

All I can say about today is "I'm glad it's over!" . We had a very difficult day with Evan. There were some bright spots in the day but overall I think Chris and I are exhausted. We are continuing to struggle with Evan and "the Gimmies". Today, however, the big eyes and puppy dog looks have turned into full blown temper tantrums with screaming, crying and kicking. I knew this could (would???) happen but I guess things were going so well we "forgot" about this part of the transition. I really think Evan was spoiled at his foster family and his guide is telling us the same thing. He really thinks he should have everything he wants and have it NOW.

We went to a beautiful park inside the city today called "People's Park" and we were so excited about leisurely strolling through, enjoying the beautiful water view and playing at the "playground". Well, it turns out People's Park is more of an amusement park and has lots of rides like bumper cars, ferris wheel, carnival games, TOYS to win, etc...So, the 4 of us are walking along, enjoying the day so far (not knowing the amusement park was up ahead) and finding it very hot (around 31 degrees and humid). Evan wanted me (and only me) to carry him around today and I know that's very good for bonding but really, not so good when I'm sweating like a pig and his arms and legs are sticking to me.

But, I did carry him as much as I could. We were having a really nice time...then we hit the toy area. OH. MY. GOSH. We had a major meltdown...and not only was it a meltdown, we drew a large crowd of interested Chinese people wanting to watch these "white people" with their new Chinese son. I'm sure they were all thinking Evan hated us and didn't want to be with us. I almost had to chase Evan at one point (and for those of you who know me, I do not chase kids - they listen the first time or there's a consequence) because he was holding onto a toy and we kept saying "no" but he was running away with it!!! Anyway...I finally picked him up and handed the toy back to the sales lady (who I'm sure was thinking..."buy it for him, it's only 10 yuan!). Well, he kicked and screamed and cried and I was sweating - it was pouring down my face and down my back and I wanted to cry myself! There were tons of people watching this little escapade so I just kept on walking trying to say soothing words to him as he kicked me. THIS is where the language barrier is horrible! I couldn't explain anything to him, I couldn't reason with him, I couldn't do anything but try and distract him (which didn't work). FInally, I think he got tired and hot too and we sat down where there were fish in the water. Chris bought some fish food and the 4 of us fed the fish. Evan started to calm down and enjoyed the fish feeding.

For the rest of the day, it didn't take much to set him off...walking by KFC and saying "no" - that set him off, walking by walmart and saying "No" as he pulled my arms to the escalator set him off, not getting the food right at supper time set him off, Caleb taking a turn on the gameboy set him off...okay you are all getting my drift.

So, we are afraid to leave the hotel room in case it starts again! Well, not really but sort of :-)

So, those of you waiting to adopt older children who are reading the blog....the language barrier is much more difficult than I mentioned in yesterday's post. The simple things are fine but it's the battle of wills that are very challening and exhausting.

But, not to be completely discouraged, we did have some bright spots today! We went swimming (we couldn't stand another second in the heat!) and we all had fun. You know how the heat can make you irritable any way (well it certainly does me)? Just swimming and getting cooled off helped us regroup and prepare for the next onslaught on tantrums. After supper Chris took Caleb to a great arcade down the street and I stayed in the hotel with Evan. It was the best time we've had together. This is the first time Evan has been just with me so we colored together and did a sticker book (Thank you for those gifts, Secret Pal - he loved them!!!). We listened to some Chinese kid's music and just had some great bonding time. We looked at books together and played on the bed. When Chris and Caleb finally came back, everything was calm and they all went to bed. Now I'm the only one up, updating the blog. I like this time of night because it's quiet and I can go over the day and really think about what happened and what is was like.

So, tomorrow we are heading back to Beijing. It'll be nice to get back there as there is lots for us to do. Nannning is great but there aren't a lot of tours or things like that for us. We are finding 8-10 hours together in the hotel room to be a bit unbearable :-) There's not much to do around the hotel - just the mall (and we all know what happens there with Evan!!) and a few eating places. Hopefully the plane ride will go smoothly...we've prepared movies, coloring and other activities to make sure it goes as well as possible.

Caleb is still having a great time and is doing so well with Evan. He was especially thrilled to get to the Arcade..he's been asking for several days now so he finally got to go. We tried to go see "Kung Fu Panda" at the theatre but it was in Chinese so we decided not to. Too bad, that could have killed at least 2 hours!

By the way...THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to everyone who emailed or left comments about the hole in Evan's palate. I kept looking at it all day today to try and get used to it. It's not as "gross" anymore...I even touched it! He is really not bothered by it all so I'm just taking my cues from him. You guys are all so awesome!!!

Enjoy today's pictures....


Evan and Dad at People's Park

Caleb doing "water drawing" at the Park. We've seen a lot people doing this and one man wanted to show Caleb how to do it. It was a lot of fun...we all took turns but Caleb drew the crowd.

Mom and Evan at People's Park

This is at People's Park....it really was a nice park!

Feeding the fish...this was really cool...there were tons of fish and they were all fighting to get the food so they were jumping out of the water and splashing us. Really great.

Caleb enjoying the pool...the pool is partly outside so this is a view of the front of the hotel taken at the pool

Evan swimming

Our Evan

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Tammy,
Oh man.. I'm praying for you all!! It sounds like such a transition and challenge!! Thank you SO much for taking the time to explain how your day has been and what your challenges and joys are. It is a privilege to watch your family grow and to share in all that God is up to (even the tantrums)!! I pray these experiences only solidify Evan's awareness that he is LOVED!

Unknown said...

Oh Tammy, The whole language thing has me scared to death!! LOL
We both know how much Hanlin is being spoiled by his foster family, I think when we go in September, my blog will be a deja vu for you! LOL
I'm taking notes.. and I plan on a visit to PEI once things are settled for you!
Krista

The Carmodys said...

Sorry you didn't have such a great day Tammy. Glad there were some good moments among the bad though. sounds like you and Evan had some good mother-son bonding time at the hotel. It can only get better from here right? Hang in there and enjoy the rest of your time in China. Hope the flight goes well back to Beijing.

k

Anonymous said...

I went through something similar with my older one but part of this is just a delayed reaction to all of the changes they have no control over (so they try and control what they can) The heat and tears, been there done that too. By next week you will be amazed how many English words he will be following. I also used a lot of gestures but I talk with my hands so that part came naturally.
Have a safe trip back to Beijing. Susan

Tao's Mommy said...

Ahhh Tammy!! Your post today brings back so many memories. Channing did the same with the tantrums out in public, running away and its so TRUE. The language barrier is the biggest problem. But withing 2 weeks you will be amazed at how fast Evan will understand. Yulin kept telling me 2 weeks and it was so true!! Hang in there and do the "tough love". I did it from the beginning, it was so hard but had to be done...LOL!!!

So your not at the Wharton Hotel? I think I know where you are now. Who is your guide??

Safe travels to Beijing. You can always email if you need a shoulder!!! HUGS

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, Tammy, Caleb, and Evan.
I am so happy that Chris Darrach is posting all of this for you as it is so nice to read about everything you are going through.

I liked the idea of one of the posted comments to use sign language with Evan. That seems that it could be very useful...same as using it with babies that cannot talk yet. Evan sounds like a smart little whip and he would probably catch on quickly.

I know in the "heat of the moment" when Evan is feeling frustrated and angry that it can be frustrating to you guys and not to mention feeling a little embarrassing. I've not been through this before, but really want to encourage you to remember that this is a much bigger transition for Evan than it is for you. Just because he is a child and you are adults.

However, as you already know, he was used to a certain life and now that has changed drastically. He's acting out because of the change and at 5yrs of age children that we CAN communicate with have a difficult time knowing how to manage their emotions at the best of times. So it must be feeling difficult to try to calm him when you cannot communicate with him very much.

Maybe you could find something (like rubbing or scratching his back or patting his head, for example), that can help to calm him down while you repeat..."it's going to be ok." Even if you ask someone how to say it in Chinese. He needs to know that it will be ok.

He has been overwhelmed, I'm sure, of things that he has never done before. He may be missing his foster mother. And not to mention the attention/love from his new family adds to the whole transition. He certainly would have a lot to 'take in'.

It is amazing that you have taken this precious little one to be your own and because you love your children so much it WILL all work out. I know you both can do it!!!

Much love and prayers,
Dawn

Shawn and Megan Mitchell said...

Sounds like a busy day! The good thing about us adopting older kids is that you're doing it first;)

Let me just say, Chris and Tammy, that you guys are AMAZING parents, and little Evan has met his match! Trust your intuition and rely on your experiences as parents, and pray LOTS. We'll pray, too!

Caleb, what a blessing for you to be there with your parents. Evan will learn quickly from your example, and what a great example you are!

PS. I saw Nathan at the Bluefield prom tonight, he looked soooo handsome!

Monique said...

Sure sounds like a rough day for you all. I hope that things get better and that you are able to communicate better soon. I can only imagine how hard it must be with the language barrier. I am praying for you all and hope that Evan's tantrums ease up a bit, he will get used to things soon.
Hugs,
Monique

Deb said...

The first picture of Evan on Daddy's shoulder made my eyes leak.....he looks so at home in daddy"s arms.
I'm partial to the last pic of him with that million dollar smile as well. :O)