Tuesday, June 17, 2008

He's Here!

This has been one of the most difficult adoptions I have ever heard of. Even our agency director said she has never encountered the problems we've had with any other family (and she's done over 80 adoption trips with multiple families each!)

Today we left for the Civil Affairs Office believing we would receive Evan. That did not happen. We hoped and prayed we would finally get to meet him later in the day. We received a call at 4:56 pm that we could finally go and pick up Evan. Well, the three of us tour through the hotel room getting our stuff ready to take and were waiting anxiously outside when our guide arrived.

The "gotcha" moment was not like we imagined as things moved so quickly. We knew when we got to the Civil Affairs office we would be the only family there and Evan would already be there waiting for us. Sure enough, we went upstairs and went directly into the room where Evan was playing. He looked up at us and we just started saying "Ni Hao Jun Jun". I was smiling from ear to ear, Caleb was trying to videotape (didn't work out so well though) and Chris just didn't know what to do with himself. We couldn't believe we were actually seeing him in person - he looks just like his photos. He is tiny (I think he may even be tinier than Alyssa) and so adorable. His eyes are huge and serious. He kept looking at me but I could tell he didn't know what to think of me. When we first walked in the room and knelt down beside him he said "hello mommy", "hello daddy". Could he be any sweeter? We had brought him some dinosaurs to play with so Caleb helped him get them out of his backpack and he set them up perfectly and played - all the while still looking at Chris and I and checking us out. He let me touch his face and hold his hand but I didn't try to hug him or pick him up.

We stayed in the room with him for only about 10 minutes as the Civil Affairs office was closing for the day. On the way to the elevator I held out my arms to him and said "mommy?" and he came to me and let me carry him downstairs and outside. He didn't say much at all until we arrived at the hotel. And then, boy did he come out of his shell!!!

He loved the hotel room - loved Caleb and was jumping on the bed, playing with cars, playing with a beach ball we brought, talking, laughing and just having a really good time.

He found the clothes we had brought him and immediately wanted his new sneakers so we put those on and he walked around proud as a peacock!

We went to supper with a couple of the other families in our group and all went well. He took lots of photos with our camera - he would only take pictures of Caleb and of course Caleb obliged by making lots of funny faces and being silly.

He drew a picture of a sun on his magna doodle and said "Mommy!" and showed me the picture. It's incredible how well our first few hours are going. We put him to bed and he didn't cry. We let him watch a bit of Toy Story and gave him a flashlight to play with and then he started to fall asleep.

It's unbelievable that I can look over at his little bed and he is actually there! You dream about this moment for months and you play it over and over in your mind and then all of a sudden, it's a reality. I don't know if I actually ever thought it would happen but now that it has, we are so happy and thrilled with this little miracle!!!

Some other info...he was wearing a spiderman shirt that we had sent him in our care package back in Feb. He also brought a little backpack with him and inside was a package of dinosaurs we had bought him and a coloring book. Inside the coloring book, his foster mother had "hidden" 4 pictures of her with him and some of him at Kindergarten.

We saw the inside of his mouth and his palate is not fully closed. The orphanage director said we had to be careful with feeding him as some large things can get stuck in the hole. He is definitely going to need surgery to repair it. His lip looks good although our agency director says he will definitely need surgery to make it look better. I'm kind of partial to that lip!!! He is also missing one or two teeth on the side of his mouth and some others are growing in crooked but I don't think it's going to be a big deal. The good news is he speaks exceptionally well - both with his Chinese and when he mimics English words. He speaks very clearly.

He is also very smart - he has memorized his foster mother's name and her phone # so hopefully we will be able to touch base with her when we return to Canada.

We are so happy to finally be with him...what an absolute blessing!!!!! As soon as we came back to the hotel from meeting Evan, we were able to SKYPE with Dylan and Alyssa before Dylan headed off to school for the day. Evan yelled out "Hello!" "Ni Hao" "Dylan". He was cute. The kids got to see him via webcam as well so it's finally real for all of us.

Enjoy the pictures...



Dad, Caleb and Evan at the first meeting
Evan with his dinosaurs just minutes after meeting him

Evan at supper
Evan and Mom together

Mom, Caleb and Evan outside the Civil Affairs Building

Caleb and Evan walking together as we head to supper

One of Evan's camera photos - Caleb acting silly for him!

Caleb and I giving the orphanage donations to the Director of Liuzhou

Caleb and Mom outside of hotel...really beautiful gardens

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! YAY! YAY! YAY!
So incredible to see pictures of all of you! Evan is a sweetie pie! I am so happy for you...so happy...so happy. Did I happed to mention that I am so happy. :)

All I could say as I read this post was
"aaahh", "aaahh", "aaahh".

I tried to contact you through Skype. It's about 11pm your time so I figured you were all in dreamland. ;)

Maybe you could email me a good time to get onto Skype with you.

Looking forward to seeing and reading more.

Love you guys.
Dawn

Anonymous said...

The picture of Evan and Caleb walking hand in hand is priceless! I are thrilled that he is finally with you. Congratulations! Susan, (Emily and Julia)

Unknown said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

YEAH YEAH YEAH! YIPEEEE

I have to go back and re-read everything, I'm so excited!!!
He looks fantastic!
Krista

Stephanie Rese (St-Pierre) said...

Congratulations! Your son is beautiful and I'm happy he is finally with you!

Stephanie mom to little Jaxon (and Maia and Jaida)

Brent & Michelle said...

WONDERFUL!!! Who knows what the delays were, but I'm sure it's all a faint memory now!!! Praise God it all came through!! I'm bawling at work right now just so thrilled for all of you! He is just precious indeed! Another Gift from God!

Michelle Ross-Hixson

Anonymous said...

HOOOORAY!!!!

I am so excited and happy that Evan is finally in your arms!! It is amazing how strong you all have been through this adoption!!

Evan is absolutely blessed to be apart of such a wonderful family!

Congratulations you guys! I can't wait to meet this little guy - he's absolutely GORGEOUS! It's obvious that he and Caleb have already become great friends... look at that picture of them holding hands!!!

Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful!!!

Travel safe and see you when you get home!

Elizabeth, Deryl, Jacob, and Sophie

Anonymous said...

We are just thrilled for you guys, praise the Lord that the adoption is finally happening. We will pray Evan will adopt you quickly and joyfully.

Enjoy every moment in Nanning.

Stephen and Marie.

Dianne said...

Hurray! Congratulations! At last things are as they should be :)

Dianne

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

So excited for you! I'm here crying at my desk at work. It's amazing to see this all finally come together for you. I'm so happy that you now start the "happily ever after" part of this adoption.

We can't wait to meet Evan when he arrives home. Looks and sounds like he's going to fit in just perfectly with his forever family.

Can't wait to hear more and see more pictures.

All our love,
The Clows

Anonymous said...

So glad you finally have him and your first few hours together have gone so well :)

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Jill, Trevor, Kohl, Aliah said...

Tammy

He is PERFECT!! What an adorable little boy! I am so happy for you and your family!!
Enjoy your time getting to know each other.

Anonymous said...

Great news!! I can't stop smiling. After all you went through he sounds like such a sweetie! Love your photos. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip and meet Evan when you return. Congratulations!

The Gillis's

cara said...

Congratulations! He's adorable. It is finally great to see pictures of you with him. I can't wait to see pictures of all the kids together.

Any chance there's a couple in your group from NY city name Jon and Nicole adopting Claire? If so we met them in Ukraine. They are great. Cara

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! He is so gorgeous! And you guys are positively beaming - we can feel it Canada! :)
Shelley in BC

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danielle said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Soooo thrilled for you Tammy!!! At long last you are with your sweet Evan!!! Can't wait to hear all about him!!!

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! This is the best news I've had all day! Congratulations on your adorable son... Have fun in China!

Chase, Braeden, and Braxton

Julie M. said...

What a cutie you have there and I am SOOOOO happy that you are together as a family forever...finally!!!

Tao's Mommy said...

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! What a story!! I cant believe Evan had his phone number memorized...WOW!!! Evan is BEAUTIFUL!!! Sounds like day 1 went perfect!!

Now put your feet up and ENJOY the rest of your trip!!

HUGS

Anonymous said...

So excited for you guys! Glad he is doing so well.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!!
Natalie, Daniel & Mei Lin

Red Sand said...

CONGRATS!!!

Nikki said...

AWWW! I am so happy for you- he is precious!!! You all look so happy and he looks like he fits in perfectly :-D

NatashaJai said...

The picture of Caleb and Evan walking hand in hand says it all!
Congratulations and have a safe trip home.

The Carmodys said...

Hooray! Praise God! I'm so happy for all of you. I've got shivers reading this post and seeing the pictures. It's all so perfect. I'm so glad that the first hours have gone so well and that he seems to be fairly comfortable with you. I love the picture of the two brothers walking hand in hand - so precious!

Can't wait to read more and see more pictures! Have fun.

k

Deb said...

Ahhhhh! The moment we've all been waiting for! He is so adorable. Shane and I were reading smiling ear to ear and Shane started to read a bit out loud and I was like No No don't read out loud I didn't get to that part yet! I wanted to read it slow and soak up every word of it.
What a blessing he is. God is good.
I'm over the moon for you guys.

Deanna said...

I am so happy you finally have Evan with you!!!!
He is adorable...I can't wait to hear more about your trip and have fun enjoying your first few days with Evan.

geminirn said...

AWWWWWWWW!!!He is perfect,what a handsome little man.Love seeing all your big smiles.Enjoy Nanning,we loved it there.

Congratulations and big hugs from Saint John.

Jody said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Have a great time on the rest of your trip.

Welcome to your forever family, Evan!!

sandi said...

AHHHHH! I have tears in my eyes reading this post! He is beautiful, and you look so content!!!! I'm so glad things are going so well, I hope they continue to go well!!!!!!!!

WOOOHOOO! FINALLY!!!!

Sandi

Monique said...

I am so happy I could cry. Evan is so much cuter than in the orphanage pictures, he looks like a real sweetheart. I am so happy "Gotcha" day has finally come, could not have happened to a more beautiful family. Can't wait to learn more about your new little man.

Is Eight Enough? said...

Tammy,

I am so, so, so, happy for you!!!! This is a beautiful moment for you all!!! He is such an adorable little boy!

Thank you for blogging and keeping us in the loop!!! Loving the pics!

Justine :o)

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!! glad to see it all came together. I've been reading all along and loving it. very touching. have a safe trip home.
Love your cousin Deanna and Alyssa

Anonymous said...

Oh Jun Jun we can't wait to meet you! It has been sweet to hear your voice and see you happy and laughing and playing! Know that you are loved and we send big hugs from home.

xoxo from Dylan and Alyssa and the rest of the MacKinnons :)

Karen Nieuwhof said...

Oh my! where's the kleenex? :) I can't imagine your emotions if I'm feeling this happy.
Absolutely wonderful! Enjoy your new time with him Tammy and Chris. Such a great story.