Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A day in Beijing...

Today we attempted the Forbidden City...unfortunately, it was too much for the children (lots of walking and getting very hungry - and it was rainy and hot) so we zipped through and really didn't take in any of the buildings, etc....Chris and I had been there before and Caleb did see a few of the buildings but I think he was glad to get to the air conditioned bus as well. He still wasn't feeling that well today either.

We were supposed to go the Market today - the one with all the kids' shoes but everyone agreed it was too difficult to take the kids there. I completely agreed with everyone but I was so disappointed not to get shoes! I bought 2 pairs for Alyssa and 2 pairs for Evan but that's it. It'll have to do because neither Chris or I are willing to enter into "meltdown zone" again!!
-
As you know we are heading back to Can.a.da tomorrow and we will be traveling for almost 48 hours. We are not landing at the Charlottetown airport as originally planned because we were unsure of our travel dates as we had thought we would need to stay in China longer due to the paperwork issue with Evan. So, we are flying into Halifax at 6:20 am on Friday morning and my Dad, Dylan and Alyssa are coming to meet us. I can't WAIT to see them. Then, we will drive home to Cornwall and would love for you to visit us at the Welcome Home Party (thanks Chris and Mari Lynn - that is SO nice!!). We can't wait to see everyone and for you to meet out little Evan!

I thought I'd post lots of pictures today instead of more rambling from me...the pictures are great and much more enjoyable....
-
Check back to this post later as I'm going to post more pictures from last night's "Goodbye China" party. Most of the kids (and 2 moms) wore traditional Chinese outfits and they were so cute!! See you all SOON!!!!!
-
The handsome duo - oh yeah, and UltraMan! Evan is famous for his ultraman moves and his absolute obsession with UltraMan!

This was Chris' highlight of the trip...ha ha ha. He came back from the bathroom and said, "I just felt like I had to wash in all three sinks" and then he showed me the picture of what was in there. Too funny!

This was taken at the end of the Forbidden City...this is a moat that goes around the City.


Evan and XinYue inside Forbidden City - they are playing "I'm stronger than you are"

Cutie pie Evan in a big barrel at Forbidden City. These big barrels are all around the city and they were filled with water (when emporers lived there) in case of a fire, there was plenty of water nearby

Both boys bought new sunglasses at the Forbidden City...they are way too cool!

The Forbidden City...Dylan and Ayssa, can you find Caleb in this picutre? I'll give you a hint...he's wearing yellow...


Most of the kids in our group (we are missing Sam J. and Lily Butler)

Our gorgeous man!

Evan waiting for us at Forbidden City...the kids were full of energy for awhile and were running ahead and then they'd have to wait for their slow poke parents!

Here is Chris, our guide (to the left) and some of the other families in our group (Malcolm and Adrienne and I see Bob M. in the back there, too) As you can see, it was a dreary day but the rain held off for most of the tour.


Caleb at Forbidden City

The four of us just before we entered the Forbidden City. We were also approached several times by Chinese people who wanted their picture taken with us. It was pretty cool. Caleb had lots of Canadian pins that he handed out to the Chinese kids we saw in the City.
-
If you read our blog, we want you to leave a comment (and thank you to all of you who do already...we love reading them!!!)- this whole trip that we've recorded on the blog will be transferred to a book for Evan (we have one for Alyssa and it is beautiful - THANK YOU ELIZABETH!!!) so we want to hear who's been supporting and loving our little guy with us! For those leaving a comment for the first time -
1. click on the word "comments" at the end of this post and it will take you to a screen where you can type a message. Type your message.
2. Then under Choose an Identity, click "anonymous"
3. Click "Publish Your Comment"
-
Thank you!

31 comments:

Red Sand said...

We won't be able to join you for your welcome home party, but we can't wait to meet Evan and see the new family formation!!! Many, many hugs being sent your way as you make your way back home.

Sam & Matt

Anonymous said...

Glad your trip has gone so well :)Can't wait until we get there!
Looking forward to seeing you next week.

Vicky and Alan

Louise said...

Tammy,
I check into your blog everyday-it is the highlight OF my day. Evan is gorgeous--and he seems so happy. I am glad you are adjusting well despite the tantrums. That'll settle once home, and routine sets in.
Praying for a safe (and quick) journey home. Blessings

Anonymous said...

Thanks for allowing us to share in your exciting journey to Evan. Now we can't wait to go back even if it is just for trip and no adoption the next time, (although one can dream.)
Have a great trip back and hope to see you soon. Susan, Emily and Julia

Anonymous said...

Hi...I stumbled across your blog and have been following along on your journey. We adopted our daughter from Guiping SWI in Nov 06 and have enjoyed reliving some of our trip thru you! Safe travels as you head for home....

Jody (mom to Olivia, Guiping, Nov 06)
Nova Scotia

Donna said...

Just a blog stalker who has enjoyed your journey with you. Your little guy is very cute and seems to be settling in nicely with his family!

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone!
I've been following your website everyday. Technology is great! I've also been keeping Grammie Lorraine posted about your trip. The pic's are great. Hope you have a safe trip home. Congrats to you all. Maybe we'll be lucky to meet Evan soon.
Aunt Marilyn & family
xxoo

Anonymous said...

I have been checking your blog every day more than once for pics and updates and sharing with everyone at work and home as well. Love the photos and hearing how things are going. We are really looking forward to meeting adorable Evan and hearing all about the trip. Have a great flight! See you soon!

Kathy and Ian

Lisa, Pierre, Marika,Karelle, Yakim, Tarik and Zavier said...

I have been following from day one of your trip !!! SOOOO amazing to see Evan in your arms !

I'm soo happy for you guys and look forward to following the rest of your trip and to meet you in person one day !

Lisa

Anonymous said...

We can't wait for you all to get home safe and sound!! We are going to try to make it to your "welcome home" party - it all depends on the kids!!!

Thank you so much for keeping up with your absolutely wonderful blog!! It is so great to experience the adoption through your eyes!!!

Evan's book has been started - hope you are still wanting one just like Alyssa's!!! :)

See you all soon!

Elizabeth, Deryl, Jacob, and Sophie!!!

The Carmodys said...

I can sense that you're ready to go home to be all together as a family finally. I remember that feeling. Enough is enough eh? Enjoy the last day. Safe travels. God bless. And now . . . go home already!!! :)

k

Anonymous said...

What's up brothers and sisters from other mothers and misters as well Evan, The gift from Heaven. Nice to see that you all are enjoying China and happy to hear that Evan is now a son of Kinnons - MacKinnons. Can't wait to see you guys and congratulations is in order. We'll have to show Evan how we do it in Cornwall, PEI.

Enrique, Angela, EJ and Christianne

Anonymous said...

I've been checking this blog TWICE a day! It's been so fun and interesting hearing about your journey to China. I wish I could join you for your welcome home party! But yeah... I don't even live in Canada hahahahaha. I'm glad to hear things have gone so well. I'm sure the tantrums will settle down... Evan will probably be very happy to get relaxed in his new home. Good luck and have a safe journey home!

Anonymous said...

I'm just another blog stalker... I came across your blog through a string of links from some pastors at my church who just adopted 3 kids from Ethiopia, Tracy & Rob Dunham.
I just love reading your updates and seeing how well Evan has settled into life with you guys. You guys have been so blessed with such a great little boy!

-Venessa in Alberta

Doreen said...

I have enjoyed following along on your blog. Evan is such a cutie, I am so happy for you. I wish we could join in on the home coming party but the drive from BC would be a bit too long I am afraid. Maybe one day we will meet you at the FOI picnic.

Have a great trip home!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

So excited tomorrow is the big day.
I can't wait to meet little Evan and have him join ALL the kids in the neighborhood...I think we may have to explain the word "overwhelm" to some of them when you get here. Canaan and Hunter are anxious to meet Evan and play with Evan and have water fights with Evan...you get the picture. See you tomorrow at ten, try to sleep some on the plane. Love you all. ML

Danielle said...

Hehe, I am laughing hysterically at the sinks with the bums on them! :-)

Thanks so much for taking the time to blog from China! I have really enjoyed following your journey! Now onto the REAL fun....getting him home! :-)

Chris D. said...

I too have been stalking this blog even before it gets posted... I have considered myself very lucky to be the first one to read the posts... I would always read through and check out the pictures before posting them and looked forward to that email coming in.
It has been quite a journey... now we just cant wait for you guys to get home so our kids can be a bad example for Evan! He has so much to learn... muahhahahahahahahah! The boys are already making plans for a big water fight upon Evan's arrival!

Chris, Mari Lynn, Canaan and Hunter

WeeMama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WeeMama said...

Great to see your adventures in China and here on PEI - and of course your new little boy, Evan.

Ranavan said...

Hello: I just found your blog today! Congrats on finally being able to go get Evan...how wonderful!!

I love your photos of the Forbidden City -reminds me of my visit to Beijing which I loved :)

All the best

Rana

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, Tammy, and of course my two awesome grandsons Caleb and Evan! Right now you are in the air, and we are so excited about your arrival tomorrow morning! Oh the stories we will hear...........I cannot wait. It will be such fun!

Love, Mom/Nana

Deb said...

Have a safe and happy trip home.
Looking forward to meeting this little man soon.
Love the pics, what great memories!

Anonymous said...

Hi all,
We were so excited to be able to talk with you while you were in China, and especially to hear Evan's voice. What a TREAT! I am thankful for technology for that blessing. ;)
Last night as we talked with you, Evan's energy super charged all of us. :)
We cannot wait to meet Evan. We do wish we could be there to celebrate your homecoming and wait with open arms for all of you. We will be there in 'spirit' and thoughts!
Much love and prayers!
Dawn, Doug, Emily and Molly
(too far away in Calgary)

Karen Nieuwhof said...

Wow! What a trip! And what a great souvenir you get to take home -- EVAN! :)
I am honored that I was able to share in this wonderful story -- the beginning of life with Evan. You guys are awesome parents and he is a very lucky boy. Caleb -- what a great big brother you are. Dylan and Alyssa -- I'm sure you'll be just as wonderful. Enjoy your new and improved family.
Happy travels on the way HOME! Have fun at the party! And I hope that you settle into life on PEI without too many temper tantrums! Hear that Tammy and Chris! And that goes for Evan too! Hee, hee.
Love to all!

Shawn and Megan Mitchell said...

It is now about 14 hours until your arrival in PEI. We are waiting...It has been a priviledge to share in your journey to Evan. We are so happy for you and can't wait to meet him! I'll never forget when you came to my house to announce that you and Chris were "expecting" again! It was nice having company in the "waiting for children" line:)
God bless, and welcome home!
Welcome to Canada, Evan, you'll love it here, and we'll love you right back!

The Mitchell Family

Sarah Rodgerson said...

Tammy and Chris,
I have been following your blog and since you have been in China, I look forward to getting home from work every day to read it! It has been so wonderful following your journey through the adoption, and we cannot wait to meet Evan. He is so precious! Have a safe trip home.

Sarah and Jamie Rodgerson

Down Here said...

Hey Chris, Tammy and gang (now including Evan!) Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow - the kids are so excited to see you again and to finally meet Evan. Lauren can't sleep! :)

Love,
Dean, Stacy and kids!

Gail Hodder said...

Evan is so adorable! Congratulations Tammy and Chris et al. You are all so fortunate to have found one another!
Gail and Darrin
Charlottetown, PE

Anonymous said...

SWEET !!!


Peggy Jo

A Mom- In-W8ing said...

Congratulations to you, Evan and the rest of your beautiful family!!

I enjoyed following your journey and I am looking forward to my turn in few years.

I wish for you all a lifetime of happiness, love and peace.

Blessings & Smiles! :o)
Nikki