Monday, June 16, 2008

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly!

I know you are all dying to hear if we got Evan today. The simple answer is "no"! But, the day was so full of emotional ups and downs it's amazing I'm still functioning! We were told this morning that we would not be receiving Evan today. Well, we had been expecting that so we were "okay" with it. As we were heading out to our 3 hour flight to Nanning, our agency director told us Evan would be at the civil affairs office today and that even if we didn't get to bring him back to the hotel with us, we would get to at least visit with him. Okay, I could definitely handle that. Caleb and Chris were excited over the chance to see Evan in person. So, off we go on our flight...unbearable flight, but at least we made it to Nanning safe and sound. We arrived at the hotel with 10 minutes to get ready to go meet the children. I got little Evan's backpack ready - it has some coloring, stickers, play animals, magna doodle, etc.. and off we went to the bus. The anticipation in the bus was amazing...all the families were just in shock that the moment was finally coming for them to meet their children. On the bus, Chris and I were told we would most likely get to take Evan back with us today! We were so excited. We prepped Caleb on how to use the video on the camera and I started to cry (naturally). We were all ushered up to Floor #4 and we could hear the children talking and playing in a room right across the hall!!!! We knew our Evan was in there. Some of the kids kept peeking around the corner as we were waiting but not Evan.

Just before the children were brought in to meet their parents, our agency director came in and told Chris and I that our paperwork wasn't ready and we would NOT be getting Evan. Even worse, we were not allowed to see him either! Oh my goodness....I wasn't prepared for that news at all. She ushered us out of that room and we had to go in a room by ourselves while the other children were brought in to meet their new mommies and daddies.

I had a good cry and then Chris and I just sucked it up and thought, well....we know he's real, he's safe and he will be ours very soon! Our agency director was amazing and she offered to get some video of Evan playing in the room. So, we do have some cute videos of him from today and we are watching them over and over and marveling at how absolutely adorable and perfect he is!!! He seems so happy and outgoing - he was sticking his tongue out, pretending to be superman and giving the "peace" sign. He told our director he was waiting for his mama and baba and that he was going to Canada. How sweet is that?!!

We are praying that all goes well and we will get Evan tomorrow morning around 9:00 am.

So...all the other families came back to the hotel and ate but we decided to enjoy our last "Evan-less" night and went to Walmart to buy him some dinosaurs (he told our director they were his favorite toy!), we walked around a bit (Nanning is beautiful!) and then we went swimming in the amazing hotel pool.

So, all in all....we are still upbeat about getting Evan tomorrow and we feel good to see him talking about meeting us and knowing we are waiting for him!

Here are some pictures from today...


Caleb BEGGED us to let him eat these for supper! Hee hee (chicken feet - Dylan what do you think of these????)

Caleb and Mom enjoying the night lights in Nanning

Caleb on SKYPE talking with Dylan. We are having so much fun with Skype and being able to see and hear everyone

Dad and Caleb at KFC

Dad and Caleb on the bus as we headed out to the airport

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you have warmer weather than we are having back home!
Hopefully by this time tomorrow, Evan will be with you in the pictures.
Thinking of all of you, Susan Emily and Julia

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful that she was able to get that video for you! What a great lead-in to meeting him tomorrow!
Shelley in BC

Danielle said...

Oh Tammy, I am so sorry that you did not get to meed Evan today and that they didn't even let you see him! I hope that tomorrow is a better day and that they next picture that is posted is the picture of the three of you with Evan!

sandi said...

Oh you guys, I had tears reading your post. I totally know how it feels to be SO close, and yet you can't even see your own child.

I hope you get to have him tomorrow! I will be stalking your blog!
Sandi

Jill, Trevor, Kohl, Aliah said...

This is like a good book that I can't put down.

Jill

Nikki said...

Oh man- how frustrating!!!! Hopefully tomorrow!

Monique said...

Oh my, reading this made me want to cry, so close yet so far still. You will see Evan soon though at least you know he is in good hands. So glad to hear that you're all doing okay. Praying for you all and the kids at home too!

The Carmodys said...

Oh what a day! So unfortunate you didn't get to see him in person but what a treat to at least see him on the video. Sounds like he's just as anxious to meeet you as you are to meet him. Praying all goes well tomorrow.

k

Julie M. said...

Oh my goodness I can't even imagine the anticipation you must have felt on the bus ride over, and then the dissappointment once you were told you wouldn't be seeing him. Sounds like you are doing great though, and WOW I hope you have a fantastic day tomorrow!!!!!! I also think it is great you have video of him, and he sounds so anxious to meet you too! I agree Jill...its like a good book you can't put down :)

Anonymous said...

What a roller coaster Tammy!!

Tomorrow(today now?) will be great though - enjoy!!

Sarah Rodgerson said...

Wow, what an emotional roller coaster! You are staying so positive though and that is the main thing...can't wait to read more tomorrow!!
Sarah

Tao's Mommy said...

Oh Tam.....I'm so glad you made it safe & sound to China....and Nanning. Cant wait to hear about that trip...LOL!!! I know you must;ve been heart sick yeasterday when you couldnt see Evan. But of course Yulin came through with a video....how amazing!!!
Here's hoping you have him in your arms TODAY!!!!

So who is your guide? Can you please give a tree in Nanning a kiss from Channing and I....LOL!!! I miss it so much!!!!

How is everyone else doing with the kids? I'm thinking about and hoping Adrienne is doing OK!!

Cant wait for your next update!!!!

HUGS

Unknown said...

Tammy!

I've been thinking of you and refreshing the blog every 3 seconds! (even if it is 3am china time...you never know, maybe you can't sleep!)LOL

Krista

Anonymous said...

Hi guys...
my heart sank when I read with anticipation that you might have Evan in your arms today, then read that was 'not a go' today. You must have felt a surge of sadness, but then a surge of joy when you were able to see him playing on your own video camera. That was a blessing for sure. :)

It's currently 8:15p here in Calgary as I read your note and I can't help but wonder if you are going to see Evan very soon, as we are about 12 hrs behind you. So, I pray that everything might be in order soon. That God would continue to prepare Evan for his new Mommy, Daddy and brother (and brother and sister at home) and vice versa. I cannot WAIT to hear about your 'Gotcha Day'!!!!!

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers hourly as I think of the four of you so very far away but near and very dear to my heart!
Dawn