Friday, May 30, 2008

What you need to know about SUNBLOCK

Okay...I've been doing a bit of research on sunblock and did you know for the last 11 years I have been using a sunblock on our children that DOES NOT protect their skin from cancer??? And most people are probably doing the same thing! I was looking up what sunblock is best to get as it's one of the things on my "china list". I read that Physical sunblocks reflect or scatter UV radiation before it reaches your skin and these physical sunblocks MUST contain either ZINC OXIDE or TITANIUM OXIDE. I have gone through all the stores in PEI and the only brand that has one of these ingredients in it is Ombrelle.

You will notice MOST sunblocks say they cover "broad spectrum" or "UVA, UVB" but this is not good enough. This only protects against very few of the harmful rays that cause skin cancer. To get full coverage, you must have the zinc or titanium oxide.

I did not know this!!! I feel so bad for not using the right sunblock all these years...and on the downside...the Ombrelle bottle cost $20.00 (for a small bottle!!).


**Thank you for all the comments on the "Need Ideas" for Evan's bedroom...I'll post about that later...you guys are awesome!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Thanks Tammy - Good to know! The $20 price tag is a little steep but if that is the only sunblock that contains it, I guess its a small price to pay.

The MacKinnons said...

Hey Tammy;
Where did you read about this? I just checked my bottle of Life brand spray sunscreen (for Kids SPF 50) that I just bought this week at Shoppers for $8. It has Titanium Dioxide 2.3%. Is that the same I wonder?