Friday, May 8, 2009

Thanks!

Thanks to those who emailed me or left comments for the "Where do you stand" post. I enjoy reading other people's opinions and points of view. Believe it or not, I love a good debate, a good controversy and stirring the pot. It's always interesting to put a topic out there and see what people are thinking. I guess on this particular topic it's a tough call to make in a general sense. As everyone pointed out, there are SO MANY factors involved in making a decision on whether a child is better off with birth family (and a "sucky" life) or with caring individuals. And then, what constitutes a great life? My biggest concern with this whole topic is having children's emotional needs met through positive interactions, communication, touch, care, etc...

I didn't realize some consider religious beliefs to be a form of abuse. Very interesting concept! I've actually read from some people (not on my blog) who don't like when "religious" people adopt children because they think they will brainwash the children.

And then, I have to consider that raising children in Canada and thinking I know what is "good parenting" here is WAY different than parenting in other countries - like China or African countries. We once had a foster child from an african country and her upbringing was QUITE different from how we parent here in Canada (generally speaking). Discipline methods in the child's country were also QUITE different than what's "acceptable" here in Canada. So, all of that has to play a part in whether a child is better off with birth parents or not. Definitely a complex topic and no easy answer. Let's just say, I probably wouldn't be the best candidate for a judge in family court.

Still debating on the whole school issue....send the kids to all white school while living in an all white community, send the kids to a more diverse school but still live in our all white communty (mostly white) or move to a different area (still in PEI) with diversity in the community and the school?????? We're talking about my children's lives here...this is HUGE!

On that note...here's the newest family photo...we only have a couple since Evan came home (10 months ago!)

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Awww, what a sweet photo!! Your kids are all so beautiful!