Wednesday, May 20, 2009

It's Surgery Time!

Evan and I are heading back to IWK (Children's Hospital) in Halifax to have his big surgery. This time he is having a bone graft surgery to hopefully correct his palate once and for all. They will be taking bone from his hip and restructuring his palate. He did have surgery in November but when they removed some of his teeth (grown up in the cleft), it caused an even bigger split in the palate. So, this time, they will crack it (sounds horrific) and then restructure it.

We leave tomorrow for some pre surgery appointments and then his actual surgery is on Monday morning with Dr. Precious. Isn't that an awesome name for a child doctor?! Unfortunately, Chris isn't able to come with me this time. He will be staying home with the other kiddos and he working. He also just found out he is working the night shift ALL WEEK so now my dad has kindly offered to come and stay at our house to help with the kids. And that leaves little 'ole me all alone at the IWK. I'm thinking optimistically - I'm taking my laptop and I have a project to organize the last 6 years of digital photos...I've borrowed lots of new books to read and I'll be taking the game cube to occupy Evan.

Staying 24/7 in a small hosptial room for 5-6 days isn't really my idea of a great time BUT we sure are excited to finally have this surgery for Evan. He is extremely thrilled to finally have his "hole closed" as he knows it will help with his speech and with all the gross stuff coming out his nose (and we are definitely happy about that as well).

So, wish us luck and wish me sanity!!!!!!! :-)

On another note....do you think we should cut Evan's hair short....the way it is now is sweet...it's just that it is always sticking up in the back like a rooster. But when it's really short does it look too severe??????


Evan with the buzz cut...last summer in China

Evan with his longer hair...now

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Precious did my jaw surgery a few years ago. It was difficult to get appointments as he was always in Asia giving papers or doing cleft repairs...so he is well prepared for Evan! He certainly lives up to his name and is a wonderful surgeon. We hope your stay will be short and comfortable. Susan, Emily and Julia

Hassan Family said...

Hi Tammy,
We met Dr. Precious and are waiting for a surgery date for Sean it is a similar bone graft but going under his lip. All the people we met at IWK are incredible! I like Sean's hair short. In China they leave some wispy bits on the front which looked very cool. Unfortunately the first time he got a cut in Canada the lady snipped them off so we are keeping it short and growing out the wispy bits.
Cheers,
Jan

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

Hey Tammy,
Just sending along well wishes for Evan. Hope everything goes perfectly for you BOTH during your stay.

I like Evan's hair longer...he looks older with it long and I know how much he wants to look SIX!!(after your stories of ME SIX! in Mexico). I'm sure short would probably be cooler for summer, however.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Carolyn

Deanna and Kent said...

Dr Precious is a great doctor , He did Madalyn`s surgery and his whole team is great, We wish you guys the best of luck I think this surgery is a little harder on the Children than the first but they bounce back quickly.

Kelly said...

I hope that Evan's surgery goes well. Keep us posted on his progress.

I must say that I love his hair longer. It seems to soften his look. He's such a cute little fella either way though...lol Good luck on that.

Isabelle Boudreau said...

Tammy!!
My niece is having her operation on Monday too! They actually were with you guys in the waiting rooms on Friday! My sister-in-law was telling about you guys and then my mom was like: It must be the MacKinnons!! What a small world! I will be thinking of them both on Monday!