Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Off to the Adoption Conference

well, today I'm heading to Ottawa to attend the National Adoption Conference. Attending the conference sounded like such a great idea BEFORE I went to China but now that we're back and things are crazy, I'm having second thoughts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about the Conference itself and the workshops and meeting other adoptive parents but I just don't know if the timing is right. I'm not sure Evan is ready for me to leave for 4 days. Chris is taking the time off work and he will be with the kids - I'm thrilled about that - there's no way Evan could have stayed with a babysitter! I'm not sure if Chris is ready for this either!! :-)

The last month has been extremely challenging. There is nothing negative I can say about Evan - he is an amazing boy. It's the whole situation; the adjustment, the changes and disruption to our other children, the busyness of Chris working day and night and me feeling alone and being with the all the kids 24/7. It's a lot more difficult than either Chris or I anticipated. I really wish my family lived here in PEI as I could really use the support of going to visit, have them take one or two of the kids sometimes, have meals with them, etc.... But, Chris and I talked about all this last night and we know it's going to be fine, we just have to take one day at a time. Soon, we will all get our own groove and will flow together again.

So, back to the Adoption Conference...because things have been so insane here at home, I feel guilty about taking 4 days all to myself (did I mention I am staying in a suite with a king size bed all by myself???!!!) and leaving Chris to face the insanity by himself! Now granted, Chris is much more laid back, patient and easy going than I could ever be so he will probably handle this wonderfully.

On the bright side...I do get 3 blissful nights of peace and quiet, reading, baths and take out food whenever I want. And, I get to attend a really fabulous conference with TONS of workshops on all kinds of adoption issues. So, Chris has told me to make sure I enjoy it and and not waste this opportunity worrying about him and the kids or feeling guilty that I shouldn't have gone. I'm going to try to take his advice and enjoy every moment!!!

4 comments:

The Carmodys said...

Wow - that sounds like a great time Tammy. Enjoy the conference and enjoy having that alone time that all moms need once in a while. Do not feel guilty . . . just enjoy! :)

k

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

Sounds like a great 4 days, Tammy. Enjoy your time and can't wait to hear all about it when you return.

P.S. Your description on Chris sounds EXACTLY like Marvin...while I'm a little more intense :0)

Danielle said...

Don't feel guilty Tammy! Every Mom needs time to herself and my goodness, you are going to an adoption conference - you are becoming more educated on the subject which can only have a positive affect on your family in the long run!

Looking forward to (hopefully) meeting up while you are in town!

--Danielle

Unknown said...

Ottawa? Man, I wish I had known that, I could have tried to meet you for a night or two! I am so jealous that you get 4 whole days alone without kids or husband! LOL...kidding, sort of! I would love to come and visit you! Would be so much fun! Anyway, like Chris said, try to relax and enjoy it! Miss You!