Sunday, July 13, 2008

We made the call!


Our family had an amazing time tonight at a BBQ hosted by some of our Chinese friends. I was really looking foward to it because I knew there would be children there who spoke mandarin and who were Chinese. I hoped Evan would be comfortable and would finally be able to speak freely! All our kids had a great time...we were there for 3 hours and they begged us to not to leave when it was time to go!

My friend, Ling, called Evan's foster mother while we were there and it went really well. It was a great decision to call her and she was thrilled to hear how well Evan was doing and to know he was very happy. His foster mother asked if we would send pictures and letters to her every couple of months and we are happy to do that! She said she couldn't sleep very well at night because she missed Jun Jun so much and was very worried about him. Ling told me his foster mother sounded very happy and excited to hear from us and to know Evan was safe and loved.
-
We did let Evan talk to her and HE WAS SO EXCITED! He couldn't stop smiling the whole time he talked to her. It was so sweet (even if my heart broke just a little) and I think it was good for him to hear her voice and to know she was still accessible. After he talked with her, he took off with the boys and played and he didn't really act any differently. He still talked about her at bedtime but it wasn't any different or any more emotional than usual.
-
She asked if we would take Evan back to visit her in the next year or two :-) We'll see - I'm still having nightmares about the traveling we just did!!! But really, we would love to take our whole family back to China and visit Alyssa's orphanage and visit with Evan's foster family. I would love to visit the orphanages we are supporting as well.

So, in the end, a great day with friends and a happy time with the phone call.

Sweet dreams everyone!

8 comments:

SI said...

How wonderful for all of you and for Evan's foster mother to be able to connect. I can't help but smile at how small the world really is.

Monique said...

So wonderful to hear this news. I feel as if I have known you and your family forever and I always pray for you. I am so happy to know that Evan got to talk to his Foster Mother, I am sure that really made his day.
Hugs

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

I'm so happy you did this, Tammy. I'm glad it went well.

Evan is adorable. I still have the image of his big eyes getting droopy while he was swinging on Saturday. Sweet.

Danielle said...

I'm so glad that the phone call went so well Tammy! It must have been so re-assuring for both Evan and his Foster Mom to know that they are both doing okay!!

MaLeah said...

Tammy: I have lurked on your blog since before you left to pick up Alyssa, but can't remember if I've ever commented before. I do really enjoy your blog and am excited for you and your family---especially Evan! I was very interested to see if you were going to call the foster mother or not. I'm glad that you were able to come to a decision and that it went well for you. I am sure that one day soon Evan will think of you as his mother (because you ARE!) and will think of her in the way you think of a loving aunt. You have the most beautiful family and you look so happy together! My husband (who is 1/4 Chinese-his mom is 1/2) and I plan to adopt a daughter from China sometime in the future. We don't have any children yet except our dog. ha.ha. If you want to see our blog you can find it at http://permanentvacationfromreality.blogspot.com

Sincerely, MaLeah

Julie M. said...

Wow...how blessed you are to be able to put Evan in contact with his foster mother. I am sure it took a lot of strength to make that call, but by the sounds of it you did the right thing. You are a great Mommy!!!

Nikki said...

That is so great to hear!

Unknown said...

OHHH Tammy!!
I'm so glad the call went well! I was waiting with baited breathe to hear how it went!
You know I'll be calling you for lots of advice...
We're planning on leaving September 1st!!
Krista