Monday, February 2, 2009

Crazy? Insane? Idiot?

Clarification: Thank you to the commenters...I love them...keep them coming. Thank you Heidi for your comment as well...yes, I absolutely agree that some birth mothers give their children up out of love...I am speaking only of the situation with my birth mother...trust me, I will never indicate to my own adopted children that they were abandoned out of selfish greed :-) (I don't believe they were abandoned for those reasons at all). I am also writing this post from the perspective of why I continue to adopt, want to foster, want to bring more children into my home when I already "have enough". I will write more about this in a post that's coming soon.


This post has been a long time coming...I have endured "criticism" in the form of jokes, I've had people outright ask me if we are crazy? Insane? I've been called an "idiot" and people just generally make their own judgements about my motives, our family and why we adopt (and foster).


To put in bluntly...I'm really tired of it. The comments I have listened to come from personal friends as well as acquaintances & strangers in our community. Beware...I will try to make this post as honest as possible without being too crabby...no guarantees though :-)

The main reason I want to write this post is to have my own feelings and words written down for Alyssa, Evan, Caleb, Dylan and any other future children who may find their way to our family. It is important for them to know that NO MATTER what others may think about our family, each one of them is worth the effort, love, time and sacrifice involved in having them be part of our family. Without question!

When I was 2 years old I was abandoned by my mother. I grew up with my father and later, his new wife who I now consider to be my "mother". I grew up loved, cherished, encouraged, and wanted. I would say I had a happy childhood with lots of opportunity to try new activities, play sports, be with friends, go on vacations with my family, enjoy relationships with lots of cousins, aunts, uncles, etc...A very "normal" childhood.

I was allowed to see my birth mother every summer. When I was 3 years old, a judge took away all parental rights from my mother and said there would be no visitations allowed. My selfless, loving father had the foresight to know how important a relationship with our birth mother would be and made arrangements that allowed us to visit our mother each year.

Although I had my father who loved me and a whole family of people who cared for me, I always felt the abandonment and rejection of my mother. I always questioned "why" she would choose to leave (yes, she deliberately chose to leave all of us) and not make any effort to see us, write us, call us or have any sort of relationship with us. My mother. The one person who should always protect, love, take care of, and fight for her child. What makes a mother decide her child is not worth her time, effort, love and sacrifice? Usually a mother's own selfishness. She wanted more freedom, she didn't want the burden of 3 children, she wanted to pursue another man, she wanted her addictions, whatever the case...her own wants and desires were more important than caring for her children.

The full reality of what my mother had done didn't sink in until I became a mother myself. When Chris and I held our son, Caleb for the first time and over the weeks and months as we grew to love him, I couldn't fathom a mother leaving her child. It was hard to leave him with a babysitter let alone walk away from him and never look back.

I had always had a very special spot and compassion in my heart for children. As a young teenager, my heart felt burdened for hurting children. I could never have known then that God was already beginning to plant a seed for what he had planned for my own family. My heart became more and more burdened with the pain and hurts of children around the world.

I felt so passionate about this...I believed so strongly that no child should have to feel unloved, unwanted, unworthy of someone's love. When our son was only 5 months old, Chris and I began foster parenting. It is now 11 years later and we are still full time foster parents. Over the years, I began to feel more convicted that God wanted us to do something more...something more permanent that foster care. Eventually God led us to adoption. When I held Alyssa in my arms for the first time on Jan 24, 2005 something incredible happened to me. I knew it was only the beginning of loving and caring for orphans and for hurting children.


That's how we ended up where we are today...with 5+ children, 2 adopted, 2 bio and several foster children.


Am I crazy? Insane? An idiot? That is absolutely insulting. Can anyone look at any one of my children and say I'm crazy to love them? I'm insane to give them the knowledge that they are cherished above all else? I'm an idiot to cradle them in my arms whispering "I love you so much" over and over? If this is what it means to be crazy, insane and an idiot - then shame on all of us for not being so!

Yes, there are times where I cry from frustration, exhaustion and being overwhelmed. Raising 5 children is tough. Getting enough time to read stories to everyone at bedtime, doing homework, cooking healthy meals that everyone will enjoy, washing & drying several loads of laundry each day, watching (and coaching) all their hockey and basketball games, being filled with pride at dance recitals, taking hours a week to practice speech therapy and then finding time to teach them life lessons, discipline, praying, being a referree admist the fighting, wiping tears and putting on bandaids, healing broken spirits and comforting grieving hearts. There is not enough time so it IS overwhelming. I do break down, I do get frustrated, I do feel out of control. And then I rant and rave and carry on to Chris.


And then you know what...I go into each of their bedroom's and I look into their sweet, sweet faces and I know that every sacrifice I have made is MORE than worth it. Those are my babies. Those are my children. Those are my most precious gifts in this worldly life. They are human beings worth every ounce of my love, my adoration, my care. They are valued and important and special and worthy of any sacrifice it may take on my part to give them all that they deserve.



I am not crazy. I am not insane. I am not an idiot. I just believe children deserve this. From being a hurt, abandoned child myself, I know they need it. And I would do it again in a second.

20 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm sad to read that you are going through this. I really don't understand spme people at times. I'm glad that you posted this. I was touched by your story. Thank you for sharing.

Kell

Dianne said...

I have never understood such judgements. How ridiculous. Like you, I have had this in my heart since before I reached adulthood and it has never for a moment felt crazy. All kids deserve loving families that will cherish them without end. I'm glad yours have found just that :)

Kathy said...

Hi Tammy,

You probably don't remember but I emailed you a few years ago that your trip to adopt Alyssa was a turning point for me to pursue the adoption of a little girl from China. Up until that point I wasn't sure.

We adopted our daughter in June 2006. She is our only child. She is absolutely and completely the light of our lives. I am so grateful I came across your website. We cannot believe how much our lives have changed and how much more alive we feel now that we have her.

As you know life can be pretty busy when you have a little one so I lost track of your blog until I happened across it last Fall when you were waiting for Evan. Interestingly, we have been waiting for almost a year for a Waiting Child referral.

I just wanted you to know that you are a very special person to me. You have inspired me without even knowing it. I truly hope that your focus remains on your family and not what others have to say because in the end it really doesn't matter. You love your children and your children love you and that is what really matters.

Kathy

Jill, Trevor, Kohl, Aliah said...

Tammy

This is one of the BEST posts I have ever read. It is right from the heart. Thanks for sharing. I loved this. You are a wonderful Mom....and yes, how could you not love all those sweet faces~


Jill

Unknown said...

You, my friend, are no idiot..
your a darn SAINT!!
You are an amazing mother, and friend! Thanks!!
Krista

Sarah Rodgerson said...

Beautiful post, thank you! You have inspired so many of us, and through that you have indirectly helped many children come to loving homes.

Sarah

Monique said...

Hi Tammy,
I admire you not only for adopting and raising a beautiful family but for the courage to tell me about your life. I truly feel that I know you and your family and I look forward to reading your blog. It is so very sad that there are people who think you are crazy, the only part of crazy you are is, crazy about your children. I love children myself and won't give up on adopting from China, until then I have all the wonderful families to read about.

Anonymous said...

Well put Tammy! Your children are truly blessed to have you as their mother!
Alison :)

Nicole Bellefleur said...

I think you're one of the most generous women in the world. For all those who criticize, there are many more of us who just stand back and admire.

Heidi said...

I know lots of people who think that anyone who has more than 2 or 3 kids is "crazy"--even if they're biological.

I agree with everything you've written, except one point: some women choose to place their children for adoption out of love, not abandonment. That may not have been the case with your biological mother, but it is true of many of us birthparents.

Mrs. K. Gillis said...

Crazy? Yes, by all means I certainly do go crazy at times! Insane? Oh yes, that too, I'm definitely insanely in love with my kiddos. And idiot? Gosh, I sure do act like an idiot around my girls as well (oh no, wait, that's my husband!). They are all great words when they apply to the love we have for our children. Be as crazy, idiotic and insane as you want and don't take any crap from anyone who can't apply those words to how much you love your current and any future kids that come your way. It's all worth it, and nobody can tell you otherwise.

As for your birthmom, she must not have had that crazy, insaneness that it takes to be a great mother. Perhaps her loss is your children's gain for her part in instilling in you the wonderful qualities that you have and making your children's dreams come true with the love of a great Mom.

Now go hug your kids!
Kathy G.

Leap of Faith to Lily said...

Tammy,
I was moved by your post. A member of my extended family also had a mother who left behind 3 young children and moved to another province to pursue a different life - I see how those 3 children now adults still struggle with it. You should be proud of all the wonderful things you have accomplished and continue to do.

I am amazed at how some folks can say such hurtful things...Take Care, Noella

Danielle said...

I have goosebumps Tammy! Also one of the best posts I've ever read!

Deanna said...

You keep loving and caring and doing your thing because you do it very well and have helped so many with your kind and giving heart.
Thanks for sharing such a personal story, I am sure that it is not an easy thing to do and your words have and will inspire others to do what feels right in their hearts.

Deanna

Karen Nieuwhof said...

You are so wonderful and real, Tammy. I can't tell you how much this post touched my heart. I'm sitting here crying. For those who don't know the love you know (these pictures show how much love there is in your family)... for those who have lost their mothers out of selfishness... for those who are not adopted by loving parents like you and Chris. I'm crying (in a good way) for the goosebumps you give me. You have an amazing ability to share your feelings and reach us with your honesty. It's a good lesson for all us moms to remember that any sacrifice is SOOOO worth it. I don't know what else to say but 'Thanks Tammy!'

Louise said...

Beautiful post Tammy!! I need a kleenex-your passion is awesome. More people need to be as passionate about thier children and their families. Family is not a right....it is a gift from God. You are as blessed as you are a blessing!!

Anonymous said...

As a mom, foster mom, and adoptive mom, I have gotten these comments for about eight years now and I never know how to respond. I don't know how to explain to people that they are the ones who are missing out, missing out on the fierce kind of love that you can have for a child who NEEDS you, who needs a home, who needs your love, and how in life, sometimes it's by going down the harder paths, the ones less worn down by others, that we find the most reward. Your dad must have done a pretty great job of raising you because it is obvious that you have a huge capacity to love and that God is using you to transform lives. Thank you for sharing so honestly.

Deb said...

My hat goes off to you. You are amazing. Anyone to ever say anything like that to you has a seriously troubled heart.
....sounds to me like you filled your fathers shoes very nicely. ;O)
Bless you big time Tam.
Your an inspiration to so many.

Is Eight Enough? said...

Tammy,

What a poignant post! The world needs more parents like you and your husband!

I do still peek in on you. Just so busy haven't had time to send a private email!! One day!

Justine

MaLeah said...

I'm sorry you are being subject to negative comments about your children. I just wanted to let you know that even though some people may not understand your family and may even ridicule it, you and your family have been an inspiration to me. I've followed your journey since before you left for China to adopt Alyssa and anyone who can't see the love bursting from these pages is the one that is the "idiot." So, I hope it makes you feel a bit better knowing that your family is one of the reasons we feel like we have a daughter in China. I'm currently 8 months pregnant with our son and when we found out he was a boy, we weren't surprised because for the longest time my husband and I have just KNEW our little girl was in China. Having a birth child does not "cure" you of wanting to adopt like some people have assumed with us, as we have always made our wishes to adopt known to friends and family. Being given the gift of our son just makes the longing that much stronger. We already talk about his sister and how incredible it will be when our little family is complete, safe and sound at home. Thank you for sharing with us. Your children are beautiful!