Sunday, January 10, 2010

Who will you love?



In light of my last post I feel crazy for writing this....
-
I was looking through a photolisting of waiting children and my heart stopped as I saw a picture of a precious little girl with down syndrome. I looked through TONS of photos and read the children's profiles and my heart ached for each child. But nothing like what happened when I saw this particular child. I'm not sure what it was....she's beautiful (but so are all the other children), and initially maybe it's because I thought she looked like our sweet, sweet Alyssa Li. Let's just say I haven't felt even a stirring of this much longing since the day we downloaded Evan's picture and saw him for the first time.

Okay...so I got excited and showed Chris her picture. Yes, my heart was pounding and I was really hoping Chris would get the same vibes as me. But, he didn't. And I wasn't the least bit surprised. He said "She's cute but we are NOT adopting again". Okay...so not to sound flippant (and I mean that!) but I have heard that line before! Past experience has shown me his "No" can turn into a "yes" and it did - twice! Really, 3 times if you consider that together we made a decision to keep our current foster child long term (for us, this means making a commitment to be her family in every way). He has opened his life and his home to care for this foster child.

So, do we have a lot on our plate? Absolutely. Do we have a house full of kids that sometimes takes up every ounce of our energy? Absolutely. Do we already struggle to find time to spend with each child? Absolutely. Are we challenged with very difficult issues in some of our children?
Absolutely.

I know all this. It doesn't change the fact that I saw a picture and felt a deep stirring and longing in my heart. Whether this child will ever be ours or if she will find another family, there is a stirring that I cannot ignore and I can't sit back and do nothing.
-
Which of the children does Jesus love the absolute most? Which ones are the most precious in His sight? Which child does Jesus ache for and love with a love so filled with compassion?

Each and every single one of them! He doesn't only love the most beautiful. The most healthy. The most well behaved. The most "adjustable". The most endearing. He loves each and every single child the same. Because each child is HIS child. Like Alyssa, Evan, Caleb and Dylan are OUR children. I truly believe we are to have that same love for each and every child. ("love your neighbour as yourself"...read THIS amazing post and scroll down to Nov 20, 2009)

This is what I've come to learn...this life, this moment in time that is called my life (because let's face it, 100 hundred years ago no one knew of me and in 100 years, no one will remember me) is not about me. It's not about my children and it's not about any children out there needing a family. It is ONLY about Christ and glorifying His Name. Loving and honoring Him. So, every reason we can think of NOT to adopt is about us. Not about Him.

Does our house have enough room for another child? Absolutely. (especially now that we've started the renos) Do we have the capacity to love another person, another child? Absolutely. Do we have the resources in PEI to raise a child with Down Syndrome? Absolutely. Does Jesus call
us to love our neighbour as ourselves? Absolutely.

"Whatever you did for the least of these, you have done for me" (Matt. 25:46)

But again, I'm not saying we are going to adopt. But now that I know about these precious children, I cannot sit back and pretend they don't exist or don't need families. So, my friend and I are thinking of ways we can advocate for these children and raise money to help families adopt
them. There will be MUCH more to come on this...we are working on the details of a new website and then we will spread the word about it!

I encourage you...challenge you to start thinking, dreaming, hoping, longing, wishing, praying about these children, maybe one or two are waiting for you!

The site is REECE's RAINBOW - Canadians CAN adopt these children. If you see a child that you are interested in, email the contact info listed with that child. You can see photos and read their profiles. These children come from Ukraine, Russia, China, Tawain, Serbia, India, Haiti and several other countries. Canadians CAN adopt them!! There are many agencies in Canada who will help families adopt from several different countries.


Click HERE right now to see the amazing children who are waiting.....


2 comments:

susan said...

Tammy, I have been on that site a few times and the children are precious. I didn't know Canadians were eligible to adopt them.
I hope you are able to follow your heart in whatever way it is meant to be led for your family. Susan

kizi 1 said...

I can understand what you are given and based on the recovery, all those things are entirely possible.
kizi 2